Monday, April 16, 2012

Paper 3 Proposal


I am choosing A Mercy and Lullaby for my paper. I was wondering if there was any way I could use three social forms and have each paragraph about another social form seen in each novel? If that is possible, my thesis would talk about a need to belong, the role of a female, and discrimination.
            If this is too much, then I think I will stick on the social form the need to belong to something or someone, and have each paragraph talk about different things the characters cling to. In Lullaby, Ayah clings to her memories, taking care of her husband, and nature. In A Mercy, I would talk about Sorrow’s imaginary friend that she holds on to, Florens’ attachment to Lina and the blacksmith, and Lina’s motherly senses that she holds on to, she will take care of anyone.
            I am still trying to figure out how to talk about the form of both pieces and where they would fit into the paper.

Working thesis: Whether it is to others, nature, or ideas, the female roles in both A Mercy and Lullaby portray the social form of a need to belong to something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment